Monday, October 13, 2014

Books I'm currently reading: October 2014







(from left to right)


  • A Storm of Swords: Game of Thrones #3 - George R. R. Martin
Ok. I took a break from attempting to read the G.o.T. books after book #2. I can't really remember how that one ended, but nevertheless here I am trying it again! I swear each book in this series gets thicker and thicker. This one is no exception.. it took me about 30 minutes just to get through the prologue. (JEEZ!)
I'm not 100% sure I'm going to be able to finish this, and to be honest, I'm not really feeling it right now. So maybe this isn't a good choice to be reading for the month, haha. I don't know. I'm weird like that - I have to be in the mood for reading something to actually enjoy it, but we'll see. Honestly, my favorite part of G.o.T. is the Others/Whitewalkers, so hopefully there will be some of those here.


  • Eat Pray Love - Elizabeth Gilbert
I had come across a quote from this author the other day that really resonated with me, and so I was curious to read her book. It's a real life memoir about the (literal) journeys she took to find herself during a low point in her life. After looking it up on Goodreads, I noticed that the reviews are less than positive, but I always try to keep an open mind and come to my own conclusions after trying out books, and most of the negative reviews seem to be personal jabs at the author's story that she is telling, about how she's so "self indulgent" or something. Honestly I just find that so mean. You really shouldn't judge somebody else's life like that, because there is no way for you to truly know what that person is going through and how they are feeling. So that's why I'm going to try to read this book through and judge for myself how it makes me feel. Currently, I find myself at a low point in life too, and while the details of my personal struggles may not be similar to Elizabeth's, that doesn't mean I can't find inspiration from her story. We all come from different walks of life, but that doesn't mean we don't all suffer every now and again. But anyways... I haven't gotten that far into the book, but it's not badly written/worded at all. The only gripe I will say that I have is how she structured it. She says she tried to separate it out like the 108 beads found in a Hindu japa mala, (which is kind of like a rosary), but truly, I kind of just wish she'd stuck to normal chapters and separation, because it kind of doesn't make sense right now. But then again, maybe it will!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...