Thursday, January 22, 2015

Countdown to my first Convention: How I'm Preparing

AAAHH! It's only a few days away! In case you haven't read my last Fandom Friday post, about conventions I wish to attend, I announced then that I will officially be attending the Salute to Supernatural Convention this weekend. Since I have no clue what to expect, I've been trying to 'prepare' for weeks, now. Here's some of the behind-the-scenes prep I've been up to:

A few weeks before:


  • One of the first things I did after purchasing tickets was that I started coming up with ideas for possible cosplays.  I created a secret board on Pinterest filled with ideas. I have photos in there of everything from screen grabs of certain characters from certain episodes, to actual product photos of items I knew I would need to purchase. The hard thing with a show like Supernatural is that most characters dress/look like absolutely normal people, most of the time. I mean, seriously, even the demons are only recognizable from the blacked out eyeballs. But really, all it meant was that I had to get super creative and sort of think outside the box. 


  • I originally had my mind set as cosplaying as one particular and instantly recognizable character, but after a while I decided I wanted to do something different. So I went another direction. I thought about which clothing items I already own that would work, (luckily enough, I already owned most things), and gathered ideas of what kind of shoes would complement the outfit and shopped around for necessary accessories. 


  • One of the 'props' that I've come up with for my cosplay is actually something I've been sewing myself. Honestly, it's actually kind of silly, but I really hope people will appreciate the humor... that's all I'm saying for now.



One week before: 


  • At this point, I'm just trying to keep from freaking out. But in reality: I'm FREAKING OUT. This is my first con. And I'm kind of a huge introvert with anxiety issues, so the idea of being stuffed into a small space with a bunch of rowdy strangers makes me want to hyperventilate.

  • But honestly, I know I really shouldn't be nervous, considering that this particular con is taking place where I live, so there's no packing for hotel stays or anything like that. Also, I could only afford tickets for one out of the three days, (Sunday, when the two stars of Supernatural are doing their appearances - because seriously: this con is EXPENSIVE!), so essentially that's only ONE day of gas/parking/food/schedule/being-around-a-lot-of-people- planning to worry about. 

  • I'm doing as much online research of other people's experiences at this particular con at this point. I've also stumbled upon a multitude of informational Youtube videos on 'con survival tips', which I'm thankful for. They mainly list details of stuff to expect for the kind of people who travel for three day cons and do huge cosplay, but it did make me realize that it wouldn't hurt to try on my planned outfit all together to see if it's going to look right or if I need to adjust/change anything, etc.  Even though it's just going to be regular clothes, I still need to be sure they're gonna work right. I did buy a new pair of shoes, so maybe I should walk around in them for a day to see if they'll be comfy enough.

And finally, a few days before:&nbsp


  • Making sure I have enough cash
  • Making a list of stuff to bring
  • putting the finishing touches on my handmade prop
  • Checking the schedule on the site to know who/what I wanna see
Wish me luck! I'll try to post as many pics/tweets as I can. And of course there will be a full length blog post a few days later. Any last minute advice? Let me hear it! Until next time, G.


2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...