Monday, June 9, 2014

Books I'm Currently Reading: June 2014



  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs
It's very rare for me to find a book that grabs me with it's very first sentence, but such was the case with this mystery novel.  I've had it on my 'to read' list for a while, and for the second time ever: it was a case of a book presenting itself to me out of the blue one day, signaling to me that "I need to read this now".  Okay, maybe that sounds a little strange, but I honestly believe that the 'book gods' or whoever sometimes send me signs with books at a time when the story might be something that I need in that moment. Even if only for inspiration... This is categorized as a "mystery" at my library, but it could also fall under "fantasy".  It's the story of a sixteen year old boy who is trying to find out the truth about his late grandfather's childhood, (this was one of the interesting things I found with this book, seeing as how I just recently lost my own grandfather, so YES, THE BOOK GODS TOLD ME I NEEDED THIS IN MY LIFE AT THIS MOMENT), and if it really truly was as he always said it was: growing up in a special orphanage for children with strange abilities, (i.e. "peculiar children"). The writing itself is very nicely done, and every turn of events is keeping me guessing and on the edge of my seat. I haven't been able to put this book down, and I look forward to devouring the rest as soon as possible.  OH, and also: there's a small Doctor Who reference in this book! It was truly meant to be!
  • Curtsies and Conspiracies (book two of the Finishing School series) - Gail Carriger
If you'll remember, I read the first book in Gail Carriger's YA series late last year, titled Etiquette and Espionage. Here is the sequel, continuing Sophronia's adventures in her supernatural-Victorian era charm/spy school. Let the steampunk-y-ness continue! I actually only JUST started this, (since I haven't been able to put down "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children"!), so I can't say too much about it yet, but I'm sure it's going to be equally as fun as the first book was. And according to Miss Carriger's blog, the third book in this series is almost out! (exciting!) While I'm on the subject of this series, though, I have to give major props to whoever the artist is that is creating the covers for these books. I'm so in love with them.. I wish they existed in poster form, because I would definitely put these up on my walls!


Until next time, and remember to TRUST THE BOOK GODS.

-G.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...