Friday, September 19, 2014

Books I've read and am currently reading: July, August, September 2014






From top left to right:


  • Wolverine and Jubilee: Curse of the Mutants - Kathryn Immonen
I read this sometime in July or August. One of two comics I decided to try out, (since I'm not an avid comic-reader). I am a fan of X-men in general, and I think I've mentioned in the past that Jubilee was my favorite childhood X-men character, so this seemed like an interesting story. Well, I kind of ended up with mixed feelings about it. The story goes that Jubilee somehow or another gets turned into a vampire, (enter mixed reaction #1: "WTF? She's a MUTANT! Vampires don't even exist in this world!"), and she's really having a hard time with it, and so her mentor Wolverine steps in to try to help her out. I don't remember exactly, but I think he also gets turned into a vampire..?  Sorry, I just thought it was lame. They're mutants. They're already societal outcasts, but with super powers. Why turn them into dumb blood sucking creatures? Meh.
  • Catwoman: When in Rome - Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale
Comic number two that I read this summer. I actually ended up liking this one.. I didn't LOVE it, but I didn't hate it. I liked the artwork, for the most part. And the story line was sort of touching, I guess. Catwoman went to Italy to try to find out the truth about who her true parents were. And she finds out that she can't escape being the Catwoman or being in danger and having to kick some behind, no matter how far away from Gotham she journeys.
  • Daughter of Smoke and Bone - Laini Taylor
 This is one of those books that I've had in my "to read" list for a long time. I finally decided to give it a chance, although I was kind of worried it was going to be a cheesy Twilight-ish teenage love story, (blech). It started out both instantly hooking me thanks to Laini's gorgeous and descriptive writing, but also turning me off a bit because the story itself started off a bit disjointed and felt kind of all-over the place, to the point where I *almost* stopped reading it.  But I am SO glad I stuck to it because eventually it all started to make sense, and the writing style just gets better and better, somehow. I was also pleasantly grateful that it is indeed NOT an overly sappy romantic plot line, and it's actually full of real darkness and tragic circumstances. The main female character feels so real, and honest, and she's strong, intelligent, and oh so very mysterious. Basically, I want to BE her. She has turquoise hair, she goes to art school in Prague, and she has access to real life magic thanks to her 'demonic' family. I can't even describe the overall novel. It's just so imaginative and fresh and whimsical as hell. And like I said, Taylor's writing is beautiful. It's worth it to pick up this book for that fact alone.
  • Hollow City (Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children #2) - Ransom Riggs
 If you'll remember, I read the first book of this series back in June, and I loved it so much that I was thrilled to find out that the second one was just released, and so of course I had to snatch it up. I'm in the process of reading it right now, and am only about halfway through. Admittedly, it's not quite as good as the first one, but then again, I still have a ways to go with it. So maybe it'll get more interesting. Some new characters have been introduced, and Ransom once again uses a bunch of vintage photographs to help the tale along, but I feel like it's missing a bit of the mysterious magic that the first book had. We'll see!
  • Days of Blood and Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #2) - Laini Taylor
September has officially turned into the month of Sequels! In case my above description of the first book in this series wasn't enough of a clue to let you know how much I enjoyed it, well, here's further proof! I'm reading the sequel! I feel like I can't describe it too much without spoiling the story to those who haven't read it, but basically it picks up exactly where the first one left off. Same characters, same dark and dramatic plot, but completely different setting altogether. And now, there is high tension between the two main characters who loved each other (to death), once upon a time. Resurrection, Revenge, and Redemption are the magic words. I'm also about halfway through this book. I have no idea what will happen but I'm anxious to find out.


2 comments:

  1. I'm interested to see what you think of Hollow City. I just ate Miss Peregrin up, reading it super quickly, but I've really had a hard time getting into Hollow City. I love the use of the vintage photographs--which has, of course, spawned into me sifting through old photo bins at flea markets and antique shops to see if I can find some awesomely creepy photos, too. I'm hoping the book picks up in the latter half, but you're right, Miss Peregrine definitely had a really unique air of mystery, magic, and intrigue that Hollow City doesn't really have. I've also heard a lot of good things about Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Definitely gonna have to pick that one up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kendall! Yay! So happy to know someone else who's read Miss Peregrine's! I agree about the vintage photos. I haven't found any myself, but maybe one day! I have to wonder, though, about some of the ones Ransom has used.. Like the one of "Deirdre"! What the heck was the original photographer's vision with that?! It is hilarious! Ooh and let me know if you decide to try Daughter of Smoke and Bone! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...