Friday, April 24, 2015

When Your "Heroes" Let You Down



I have to start off by stating that I am actually NOT a fan of the 'Avengers' movies/comics. (I tried watching one of the movies, and I honestly just wasn't feeling it. It wasn't my cup of tea. I sort of liked the character of Loki, and the way Tom Hiddleston portrayed him, but that was really about it). But that's just me. And that's okay, because that's not what this post is even about. I am well aware that there are millions of people out there who DO love these movies, and are looking forward to the latest installment in May - many of them in my circle of friends. And that's great! As I've stated on my blog before: Fandoms make the world go 'round. No matter what movie/show/book/band you're into, you should love it with all your soul if that is what truly makes you happy.

Furthermore, I think it's especially great that there are so many young and PROUD female fans of this movie franchise. Just do a google image search for "female Captain America cosplay" and be amazed! But that's also why this headlining news story from last night disturbs me.

In case you missed it, two of the "stars" of the Avengers, (Chris Evans and Jeremy Renner), had to issue public apologies for an interview in which they reffered to Scarlett Johansson's character (Black Widow) as a "slut", "whore", "trick" and Renner even went so far as to make a snide comment about her prosthetic leg. (Umm.. okay?).

Yeah.

I kept scanning my twitter feed for responses from some of the girls I follow whom I know are fans, but didn't see much. In fact, what I did see, from comments on some of the sites that were reporting this kind of bothered me even more. I kind of get the sense that some girls might be wanting to 100% accept these so called "apologies" from the actors and kind of sweep it all under the rug. To be accurate, they seem to accept Evans' apology as sounding more "genuine" and "heartfelt", but admit that Renner's was more insensitive.

Why isn't there a bigger fuss being made out of all this? So they apologized. Fine. People make mistakes. Okay. I know that no one is perfect. And that includes me: I'm sure I've said stupid things at some point. Fine. But what I can't wrap my head around is WHY these dudes would even use these particular words in the first place, knowing full well that they are indeed offensive and derogatory?

Especially in present times, when I feel like female geek culture is at such a tipping point: More and more females are coming forward and trying to show the world that comics/superheroes aren't just for macho men and that we could (and should) be portrayed as just as powerful/cool/smart as the male protagonists. That the little girls of the future need to be made aware that it's okay to be into things that once upon a time were deemed "for boys only"... So to have two actors (with a lot of influence) suddenly and so easily throw out comments like that, making it clear that they have zero respect for their fellow female co-character, when they should KNOW that they have legions of young and impressionable female fans who probably look up to them as male role models..?? I'm sorry, but how is that okay? Talk about a major step backwards. And not only that! Think of the young impressionable MALE fans, as well! Are these two actually teaching them that it's okay to use those words? And dude, what even was the bit about the prosthetic leg about? Are you insinuating that girls with prosthetic legs can't be seen as attractive? That's like saying guys don't like girls who wear glasses, or are in wheelchairs, or *insert characteristic here*   Some of us have low self esteem about our disabilities and things that we struggle with as it is. OH. You were tired from your "tedious" job of doing press? Ok. That justifies it all...

Seriously. If you think your job is so tedious, then maybe you're in the wrong line of work. How about trying to show some gratefulness, instead? You'd probably be a lot happier, Jeremy.

Speaking from personal experience, I know how much of a bummer it can be when somebody you love and admire, (and sometimes IDOLIZE), can completely let you down. So my heart breaks for any young girl out there who may have felt a "punch to the gut" after seeing that interview. Some of us, unfortunately, have never even truly had a positive male influence in our lives, growing up. So yes, sometimes we look to characters/actors/celebrities to fill that gap. Like it or not, a lot of the people we see in the media are our model for the kind of people we ourselves will become, or maybe even end up in a relationship with, down the line.. The older I get, the more I try to pay attention to who exactly it is I choose to allow into my "fangirl heart". I'm trying to make it a point to only support/admire positive and genuinely GOOD and intelligent artists... And while Chris Evans and Jeremy Renner have never been personal "favorites" of mine (and at this point, never will be), I feel so badly for the girls out there who maybe did (still do?) consider them "heroes".

Watch the interview here and tell me your thoughts.

Are you a Marvel fangirl? How does all this make you feel? Will you continue to support the Avengers franchise the same way? Why or why not?


2 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm not a huge Avengers fan, but stuff like this is ridiculous. Why do influencial people still say things like this? I thought we were past this. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...