Monday, November 30, 2015

Crown of Midnight: Giving Celaena Sardothien Another Chance



*SPOILER ALERT: I reveal some details in this review, so if you haven't read this series yet and have been meaning to, don't read this post!*
 
Alright, so I'll be the first to admit I may have been a little hasty in my initial review of the first book in this series by Sarah Maas, but I'm human! I'm allowed to make mistakes!

For (insert whatever reason here), I wasn't the biggest "Throne of Glass" or "Celaena Sardothien" fan. I guess I was being moody? I don't know. But there was one certain aspect of that first novel that I DID love: the mysterious, Fae-fantasy-adventure story line. And for that reason, I decided to give the series another chance. (I reaaaally wanted to see how that whole plot line developed!)

Never did I imagine that I would end up loving the second book, "Crown of Midnight"! And you know what else? I have a better understanding of who Celaena is, (and why she is the way she is), and don't find her as annoying as I initially did. She's officially grown on me, and I admire her badass-ery!

Some HUGE secrets about certain characters and plot twists that build up on what we were first introduced to in the first book are revealed, and that whole Fae/fantasy backstory gets so much more interesting and exciting. The mysteries and danger grow deeper, and Celaena, as well as her friends Dorian (the crown prince), Nehemia (Princess of Eyllwe), and Chaol (the Captain of the Guard), get tangled up in it all.  There were excruciating moments and heartache and parts when you kind of just wanted to throw the book against the wall, but hey, that's the mark of a good story, no?

And then of course, there was the 'love story' part to it. Normally, I shy away from 'romantic' story lines, (because they're so boring!), but with "Crown of Midnight", I actually found myself championing, (or rather, 'shipping'!) the growing relationship between Celaena and Chaol! It made me fangirl out for many reasons, but the main one being that I actually LOVE the character of Chaol Westfall, and honestly believe he's a much better match with Celaena than Dorian is. (She dated Dorian in the first book - sorry, Dorian, I just don't like you as much!). It just works so much better, as they bring out the best in each other. (See? I can't stop raving about those two together! It was like 'finally!')

But that ending.

I did not see it coming.

Celaena Sardothien's biggest secret is revealed. And trust me when I say you will never look at her the same way again. So yes, NOW I definitely know why people love this series so much. It gets better and better! I am officially convinced.

I've officially started reading book #3, "Heir of Fire", and it's just taking me for spin after spin. But you'll have to wait for that review when I finish it!


Are you a "Throne of Glass" series fan? Who's your favorite character? Who do you want Celaena to end up with?!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...