Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Salute to Supernatural 2016 Con Recap



Howdy! In case you don't follow me on Instagram or Twitter, you may have missed that I was at #HousCon2016 on Sunday! (It was also VALENTINE'S DAY!!!)

This was only my second convention, ever, and it was glorious fun! I was more prepared this year, had a more 'unique' and thought-out cosplay, met/had a photo with Jared Padalecki, (and a second one with Jensen Ackles because I just can't help myself!), and this year I finally met BABY!!!

Let's get into it:

MY COSPLAY 

This year, I really wanted to dress up in something a bit.. different. I can't remember when or how I exactly got the idea for this cosplay, but it sounded so awesome to me! Alice in Wonderland is one of my favorite stories of all time - the imagery associated with it is something I find myself returning to, time and time again, in different ways. So in thinking of what it would be like if Alice emerged into the land of "Supernatural" after she fell down the rabbit hole, this is what I came up with.

 
As always, I started off by finding inspirational images and collecting them in a secret board on Pinterest.

I constructed the entire dress and apron myself! I used a store bought pattern for the dress, (which fits me like a dream.. I'm going to be making more of this style in different colors.. someday..), and for the apron, I followed a Japanese photo tutorial I found on Pinterest. (It had no English words/translations, but I was able to figure it out, with some modifications! Go ME!) - I didn't notice until I got home that I forgot to have a photo taken from the back.. I did criss-crossing straps and everything!) There are also two patches I added to the straps: a pink Mark of Cain/Darkness and a hand drawn anti-possession 'tattoo'.

And, of course, one of my 'things' is that I love to have a dolly companion. If you'll remember from last year, I had made a Dean doll in an FBI suit to complement my own. This year, in keeping with the Alice in Wonderland/Supernatural-land theme, I made a Castiel doll, but as the Cheshire CASS!



 I ran out of time, and so he doesn't have shoes or a cat tail, but I'm still happy with him!



BABY

Did I mention I met Baby? (Y'know.. the Impala?)  Well. Actually.. I met TWO!!!



They each had different license plates - the one to the right had the original "KAZ" plate. The one on the left had it's tricked out trunk on display!

The owners of these beauties really did a good job at replicating every last detail. It was SO awesome!

Alice is going hunting!


THE CELEBS

As I said, I got a second photo op with Jensen, and this year I also got one with Jared. And yes, he is just as tall as you think.. taller, actually.

ALAS, I do not have those photos to show you yet, because I'm waiting on the photographer to send me my digital copies. I may try to photograph my prints, but they won't look as nice as the jpegs.

I still couldn't meet Misha this year, but I met his cardboard standee.


The scheduling for this day was a lot different than last year, and aside from Jared/Jensen's panel, I only got to see one more: Jim Beaver aka Bobby Singer! He is SUCH a sweetheart in person, it's not even funny. And of course, Rob Benedict's band Louden Swain entertained us again, and MC Richard Speight JR made us laugh our heads off. I love this show's cast.

Jared/Jensen's panel consisted of a lot of laughs, as usual, but also some touching/tender moments where they took the time to comfort some super nervous fans and reminding them to "always keep fighting".

It went by way too fast, but if you follow them on Twitter, you saw some.. interesting photos. We came away with a bit of an inside joke, I guess, about Jared' finger, haha. Do Youtube searches for the details!




What else? It was Valentine's Day, so I made some hand drawn ATC's that I wanted to leave around the hotel for #SPNFamily members to find.. I didn't get any tags/contacts from them, but oh well!

I will be showing those off later, as well.

So once again, I only got to attend the last day of this fabulous three day con, but I'm so thankful that I got the chance.

I've been kind of stressed, lately, and I especially have myself to blame since I was being too much of a perfectionist about constructing my cosplay, but it all worked out! I'm still so tired, three days later, and wish I was there again. I wish I hadn't been too shy to say "hi" to Jared's sister, Megan, and chat about illustration aspirations with her, but.. oh well.


Until next time!

G.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...